Thursday, October 23, 2014


Jennifer Haston-Quilter and Maker

Going to Jennifer Haston's studio/house was quite the experience. Because what she creates is all around where she lives. Whether it's the multiple gardens, sculptural installations in the yard, or her beautiful quilts, art and creation were everywhere I looked. 


All the things she makes are impressive, but what I was drawn to the most were her quilts. They are colorful mosaics of visual stories. She explained a bit more about her quiltmaking when I went to visit:


What is the theme of your work?

I feel very connected to the history of quilt making even though I have more of a modern approach to it. Every quilt I make is different and unique but borrows something from the traditions of quiltmaking. For example, I’ll use techniques of making medallion quilts and text quilts and then I’m combining these techniques into something that is completely modern. I mostly work intuitively. I might have a basic idea, or color scheme of what I want to do but once I get started my original idea will get lost and go somewhere completely different- so the theme of a particular quilt shows itself in the process of me creating it.
What is the inspiration of your work?

I never start making a quilt until I look at books about the history of quilts, and I let this history greatly inform my work.  Sometimes I feel like I was born in a different time period-I just want to make jam, bake bread, garden and be domestic. All these things to me mean the same as quiltmaking. There’s something about providing things that are nurturing; gardening to make food so people can eat, making quilts so people can stay warm. Providing comfort. We all need comfort. I used to make what some people would consider more “traditional” artwork-prints, paper-based art-but that just ends up piled in a corner or stowed away. Maybe somebody gets to view it at a show, maybe somebody will even buy it and hang it on their wall, but that doesn’t happen very often. With quilts it’s different. If somebody buys one of your quilts, they’re going to use it. I really like the idea of something that functions, that somebody can be comforted by something I make.

What are the goals for your work?

My goal is to sell my quilts though frankly I don’t feel completely comfortable with the idea of selling my work. I often just want to give my artwork to people if they like it. But it would be nice to bring in money from things I make so I can pay for my supplies and be sustainable. I’m beginning to get commissions to make quilts and I hope more come in.

What are your thoughts on the Nashville arts scene?

I think it’s supportive. Everyone knows each other, and I feel that we are in a great community where people help each other. However, I would like to see a greater connection between the music industry and the visual arts. I feel that for some odd reason it’s separated in this city and it shouldn’t be. It would be great if there were more crossover-musicians hanging out at art events, and visual artists supporting music shows. 

You can learn more about Jennifer's work at:http://jenniferquilting.wordpress.com/

























No comments:

Post a Comment